Mould is something that effects many households across the UK, and it’s something that can’t be ignored. Mould demands attention, coating household items as well as the property itself. As a result of this, and the underlying health issues mould could cause, mould removal is paramount.
How-to remove mould – steps to clearing mould
It’s advised by the NHS that you should only remove mould if it’s caused by condensation and the affected area is less than 1 meter squared. If you want to tackle the mould before contacting mould removal specialists, we recommend the following steps:
- Solution: Buy specialist mould removal products or make your own solution of bleach (1 part) and water (3 parts).
- Clean: Wipe, don’t brush, the affected area. This prevents mould spores from releasing.
- Rinse: Clean away the mould-removing solution and rinse.
- Dry: Use a dry towel or cloth to wipe the area after cleaning, removing all moisture.
- Reapplication: If signs of mould remain, apply more of the cleaning solution and leave to work for 5-10 minutes before cleaning away again.
If you’ve successfully removed the mould, the next step is understanding why mould was growing on your walls to prevent it happening again.
What makes mould grow on walls?
Often, mould on walls is as a result of a combination of excess moisture in the air, a lack of ventilation and an inadequate heating scheme. Under the right conditions this environment will allow mould to grow on almost any surface.
It is worth having an expert undertake a damp survey if you have mould, or it if reoccurs, as it could be something more serious. Too much insulation can cause mould, as well as plumbing leaks or even recently dry lined walls.
How can you stop mould coming back?
Prokil can install ventilation services that provide condensation removal and prevent mould from making another appearance. Damp wall treatment includes installing an effective damp proofing course that will stop moisture infiltrating the wall or floors in your property.
If you would like your damp assessed, Prokil damp and timber specialists offer a free, no obligation damp survey. We have over 50 years’ experience with over 8,000 happy clients so far – view our checkatrade rating of 9/10. Book a damp survey online or give one of our experienced damp treatment specialists a call on 01202 515566 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.