Damp can cause a variety of problems within the home such as structural damage and decorative spoilage. As stated on the NHS website, damp can also have an impact on your health, especially if left untreated. This is because damp causes the formation of mould spores, a type of fungus that is associated with health problems.
If your home is riddled with damp, it can make you feel ill. Damp and mould within your home increase the likelihood of respiratory health problems and allergies. For those with pre-existing respiratory illnesses such as asthma, damp can worsen the symptoms.
Damp can also have negative effects on the immune system, meaning vulnerable groups such as babies and the elderly are more susceptible to the health effects of mould and damp.
Some of the most common side effects of damp and mould include:
- Irritation of skin conditions, e.g. eczema
- Itchy nose and throat
- Wheezing and coughing
If you feel that your home might be suffering from damp, it is important to get it looked at straight away. The sooner damp treatment is arranged, the less of an impact it can have on your health. We always recommend seeking medical advice if you are concerned about your health.
*Select surveys may incur a cost, contact us for more information.