Fungal vapours in damp buildings reported to trigger Parkinson’s disease

12 Dec Fungal vapours in damp buildings reported to trigger Parkinson’s disease

Damp and mould are some of the most common problems homeowners deal with. Mould doesn’t just ruin the look of your home though, but can also have significant negative health effects.

Mould can cause allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to moulds and can also cause lung infections for people with compromised immune functions.

Recent research also indicates that the fungal vapours from mildew and other fungi may trigger Parkinson’s disease, a degenerative brain disease.

One study showed that a compound present in fungal vapours causes the degeneration of 2 genes that are required for the transport and storage of the neurotransmitter dopamine. Parkinson’s disease is caused by the decreased production of dopamine in the body.

Though more research is still necessary, researchers warn that the fungal vapours that are often present in damp homes may significantly increase the risk factor of developing Parkinson’s disease.

To prevent damp from entering your home and potentially causing harm to you and your family’s health, installing effective damp proofing is your best option. Damp proofing will help prevent moisture from entering inside your home and causing mould formation or other moisture related problems.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Franchise Opportunity...

Franchise Opportunity


Your Route to Building a Successful Business...

Find Out More